Saturday, September 15, 2012

Gluten Free Pumpkin Mac N Cheese

Pin It Now!

Hello and welcome to my blog! Food blogging has been a dream of mine for several years, and I am so excited to finally make that dream come true. I am committed to creating healthful, delicious food that is easy to make and can be enjoyed by everyone, including people with special dietary needs. On this blog I will be sharing recipes that I have made and enjoyed from many sources, as well as recipes I have created myself.

To get things started, I wanted to share a delicious, non-traditional macaroni and cheese recipe that I created several months ago. Macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite foods, but it's certainly not one of the healthiest. This recipe is easy to make, gluten free, and the pumpkin makes it hearty without heavy cream. Admittedly, this is not the healthiest recipe I will be posting on this blog. However, it's a great way to enjoy one of my favorite comfort foods without gluten. It's also perfect for fall and football season! I hope to create a dairy free version of this dish in the future, so stay tuned....

Ingredients

 

8oz package of gluten free macaroni noodles (I used noodles made from Quinoa and corn)
1 cup milk (I used skim milk but any type of milk will work)
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used a cheddar & monterey jack mix)
1 cup Pumpkin puree (I used caned pumpkin)
1/4 cup of Parmesean cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tobasco sauce
Thinly sliced green onion for garnish


Preparation

 

1. Prepare the entire box of macaroni according to the package instructions. Strain and set aside.

2. While the macaroni is cooking, heat the milk over medium heat and slowly add the shredded cheese until melted, stirring occasionally.


3. Add the pumpkin and Parmesan to the cheese sauce. Stir until combined. (Note: the pumpkin will cause the sauce to be slightly lumpy. That is ok! This is a non-traditional recipe and will not be as smooth as regular mac and cheese).


4.  Add the salt, mustard, pepper, Worchestershire, and Tobasco to the pot and stir.

5. Add the noodles to the cheese sauce and stir until the noodles are coated.

6. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions and enjoy!











Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment