Sunday, September 16, 2012

Savory Vegetable Quiche

Pin It Now!

One of my new favorite recipe sites right now is Elana's Pantry. She focuses on recipes for people with special dietary needs, including gluten free, dairy free, grain free, and Paleo. I absolutely LOVE her site and will be sharing several of her recipes here in the future. I wanted to use this post as an opportunity to introduce you to her and her great food.

Elana posts numerous free recipes on her website, but I recently purchased one of her cookbooks because I wanted to support her great work. One of her cookbook is called The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook and it has many recipes that are not on her site. This recipe, her Savory Vegetable Quiche, is one of the most delicious dishes I have made in a while. I won't be able to post the exact recipe here (you will have to check out her book), but I wanted to provide an overview and encourage everyone to start thinking outside the box when it comes to the types of flours we use in our recipes. Almond flour is delicious, it bakes beautifully, and it's packed with protein. Next time you are feeling adventurous I encourage you to give it a try!





The quiche crust is made from a mixture of almond flour, oil, and finely chopped green onions. You mix the dough, place it in a pie plate, and mold it into the plate with your fingers.


While the crust is baking, you prepare the quiche filling. I put eggs, sauteed onions, garlic, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli, and dairy free mozzarella cheese in mine. I think any vegetables would be delicious in this recipe, as would normal cheese, goat cheese, and even some grilled chicken or turkey sausage.


After baking the crust and mixing up the filling, you pour the filling on top of the crust and bake. 


Voila! Amazingly delicious healthy quiche!


Even without the exact recipe, you could make this quiche using a pre-made crust from the store or by using your favorite pastry crust recipe and trying an alternative flour, such as oat flour, almond flour, or coconut flour.  I am going to experiment with a breakfast quiche and I will share my results soon!


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment