Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Recipe Remix: One-Pot Oktoberfeast

Pin It Now!

Whole Foods has some great recipes on its website. I have enjoyed trying many of their recipes in the past and will continue to use them in the future. I recently came across a recipe that looked delicious, but did not fit into my dietary requirements. Thus, welcome to my first recipe remix post, where I show what substitutions I used to make a recipe more aligned with my dietary needs.

One-Pot Oktoberfeast from Whole Foods is a great recipe for fall. It's a warm, savory comfort food that would be great to make for football tailgate or a German Oktoberfest party. The only problem: it contains dairy. You can see the original recipe by clicking here. Below, I will show you what ingredients I used to make this recipe dairy free.

Ingredients


1 tablespoon non-dairy butter (I used Earth Balance. You could also use olive oil)
1 package (12 ounces) The Original Brat Hans Original Bratwurst, cut into 2-inch chunks 
1 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided 
2 teaspoons dried dill, divided 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 yellow onion, chopped 
1 pound fresh button mushrooms, quartered 
3 tablespoons non-dairy sour cream (I used Tofutti Sour Supreme) 
3 tablespoons German mustard 
1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained 

Preparation


Melt the non-dairy butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup broth, 1 teaspoon dill, pepper and onion and cook until onions are softened and golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms and cook until they've released their juices, about 5 minutes more. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup broth, non-dairy sour cream and mustard. Add to pot, along with sauerkraut; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until fragrant and thickened, about 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with remaining dill and serve.

 

 

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments: