Friday, October 19, 2012

Recipe Review: Elana's Pantry Paleo Bread

Pin It Now!

Starting out on a new gluten free diet isn't always easy. There are so many things you used to eat, probably everyday, that you simply can't eat anymore. One of those things is bread made with wheat. There are gluten free breads you can buy from the store, but sometimes they have ingredients you don't want, such as preservatives, dairy, refined sugar, or alternative flours that you don't care for. It can be difficult to find a suitable alternative to wheat bread that still meets your other diet requirements.

The problem is that even when you are on a special diet, sometimes you just want a sandwich or a piece of toast. So how do you find a way to have gluten free bread that meets your needs? I am on a mission to find a go-to gluten free bread recipe that will satisfy my own bread cravings.

The first recipe I tried is the Paleo Bread recipe from Elana's Pantry. For this post, I am going to do a review of my thoughts on this recipe. If you would like to try it, you can find the recipe here. When I tried this bread, I did my best to follow the recipe exactly.

Pros:

This recipe is extremely easy to make. You basically just dump all the ingredients in a food processor, pour the batter into a loaf pan, and bake.

 
It's also a quick recipe to make. There is no waiting for the bread to rise and it only takes 30 minutes to bake.

This bread also has a very healthy list of ingredients, which is the best and most important part about it. I will be amazed if I can find a healthier recipe than this concoction of almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed and eggs.
 



Cons:

Because this bread is not designed to rise, a very specific sized loaf pan is required to make this bread and have it be a normal size. (When you read the recipe, you will see that the author recommends a particular pan you can buy from Amazon). I did not have the proper size pan, so my bread turned out somewhat short and flat. It would be difficult to make a good sandwich with my bread because the slices were too short. If I decided that I was going to make this bread a lot, I would probably end up getting the special loaf pan recommended in the recipe with the hope that the slices would be taller.



Conclusion:

Not only was this bread super healthy, but it also tasted great. It did not taste like any type of bread I have had before, but it had a delicious nutty flavor to it that I think would taste great with any type of sandwich or as peanut butter toast. I would recommend trying this recipe. I liked it a lot and am strongly considering getting the special loaf pan so that next time I make it the bread comes out perfect.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment